Wednesday, July 27, 2011

London, wrapping up - Tuesday 7/26

Tuesday was our last real academic day in London. After a morning of fielding issues with students planning their final day (Wed.) in and around London, I met with my class for the final time. They filled out class evaluations and took the final exam.

After the final exam, the faculty gathered one last time to have dinner. We took a our boat down the Thames to Greenwich. Once there, we shared a pint at the Trafalgar. It's a pub named for the famous and decisive sea battle won by the British national hero, Admiral, Lord Horatio Nelson, over teh combined French and Spanish forces of the Napoleonic Wars in 1805. After sharing some time there, we went to a great little restaurant in Greenwich. It's called Inside. We had a splendid meal and enjoyable conversation. 

I have to admit that I have really liked this summer, and especially my class. I have been impressed with what they have been able to glean from their reading and our discussions. I just hope that their final exams reflect that, too. The field trips have been a lot of fun, and judging from the general reactions each week, the students enjoyed them almost as much as I did.

This summer, as a co-site director, I have also had to be involved in the assistance and discipline roles with some of the students. I know that it is a necessary part of the program, and I am always happy to assist when there are problems. However, I think the discipline side of things - and we had some relatively serious issues with out-of-control behavior on occasion - is the part I like least. I won't say anything more about it here, because I don't want to spend an inordinate amount of time focusing on what is essentially the negative side of study abroad.

I hope this blog has been of interest. It has been a good way to journal about the experiences I have had on this trip with the class readings and in the non-academic times. Wednesday 7/27 will be a flurry of activity with packing, last minute issues, and a very short night. We leave our dorms at 5:30 am to get to the airport to leave London at 9:30 am. Consequently, this will be my last blog entry from London, but I will write a wrap up blog entry after I return to Georgia. I will also go back and add in some pictures here and there across the 5 weeks worth of entries as I get a chance to go through my downloads more carefully. 

I have had a great time, and I hope you have been able to share in it a little bit.

1 comment:

  1. I've thoroughly enjoyed your blog! Thanks for sharing your adventures and reading list with us. Oh, and your dinners... yum...

    ReplyDelete