Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Final Preparation - 6/22

Well, the big day is tomorrow. Most of my bags are packed except for the last few things that have to get thrown into my carry-on luggage. All of the appropriate papers are gathered, and my passport is at hand. All that remains is to put it all in the car and drive to Atlanta. I'm on the earliest of the three flights taking students to London, so I get to leave my house by about 5:30 in the morning.

Reading material on the plane? I will be gathering my students' research papers at the airport, so I'll have those to read on the plane. I'm also bringing along one of my usual summer reading choices - a sci-fi novel. (Oh, those guilty pleasures!)

Anyway, my internet access in London may not get set up until Monday. We have a pretty full first weekend. Friday (that's when we get there - becauseof the time difference) is set aside for getting checked into our lodging, a brief meeting (as if such a thing is possible) and a quick orientation tour for the students and faculty to find all of the key locations in the vicinity of our dorms (like banks, restaurants, grocery stores, and possibly a pub). Saturday is set aside for an ice-breaking event - a photo scavenger hunt that gets the students into groups and lets them explore a little bit of London on their own - all the while becoming comfortable in the environment and with the subway system. Sunday is a group excursion day. We will all be going to Hampton Court Palace (of Henry VIII and The Tudors fame). Then, on Monday we have our first class meetings. Basically, depending on time, I'll post as soon as I am able to once we get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment