Thursday, June 16, 2011

1 Week Away - 6/16

Well, it's just a week away from the start of the London study abroad trip. Of course, I feel totally unprepared. Then again, I know that I am just about as ready as I can be. That's the story of my life - a disconnect between what I know and what I feel. However, before I slide off into the bizarre psychology of my ramblings, I think I'll just stick with sharing the ramblings.

The London Program (which is what it is called within the USG-European Council) has about 85 students and 10 faculty members this year. That's a pretty good sized group. Let me tell you that I am VERY happy that I am not party to the logistical nightmare that means in terms of getting them all from Atlanta to London, to the dorms from the airport, and getting them settled during the first weekend. I, of course, will assist with the carrying out of the logistics, but I have not been involved with the planning. For example, we have blocks of seats on three different flights on two different airlines to get everybody there. Some of us have a layoever in Miami, others in Dallas, and the rest fly direct. We all arrive at different times, but within about a 5 hour window. We will be housed in different dorms (two of them) about 5 blocks apart on the campus of University College - London. Great location! It's near the heart of everything and smack-dab in the middle of three subway stations that connect us to the rest of the metropolitan London area within minutes.

It just struck me that I have almost no anxiety about travelling to London but I was crazy nervous about travelling to New York. Oh well.

I have a plan for packing, but I haven't actually started packing yet. When I do, I am sure it will drive my cats crazy. I think they already suspect that something is up. They're pretty smart after all. Here they are, with Uther on the left and Portia on the right. I am absolutely certain that I will miss them very much.


I will probably post a little more often now, as we come ever closer to the start date of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment